Cockhill Celtic FC – 3 (P Doherty, J Bradley & G Friel) Fanad United – 0
Ulster Senior League – Sunday 16th April

Cockhill bounced back from last week’s league defeat by Letterkenny Rovers FC to record a 3-0 win against a very stubborn and hardworking Fanad United at the Charlie O’Donnell Sports Grounds.

The home side had most possession in the opening period but created very little of note and found the visitors defence well organised by the experienced pairing of Marty McAteer and Eunan Kelly.

Cockhill’s Mark Moran had the first real chance on 18 minutes but after finding himself with just the keeper to beat he passed to Garbhan Friel and the chance was cleared by the covering Kelly.

Cockhill tried to get the ball wide to both Derek Doherty and Gerry Gill at every opportunity but at times their passing was slow and ponderous.

On the half hour mark Cockhill thought they had the lead, Derek Doherty done well on the right flank and played a great cross to the box where forward Garbhan Friel rose high to power a header that crashed off the crossbar and down onto the line, with Cockhill looking for a goal the referee waved play on after assistance from his assistant.

The visitors had very little threat but anything positive was from the boot of Davit Walsh with him looking to play forward, from his midfield role, when in possession.

Fanad’s only effort on goal in the first period was after a McAteer free wide on the right the ball fell to Oisin Langan 30 yards from goal but his effort was easy for player/manager Cullen.

A frustrating 45 minutes for the home side with the visitors the happier.

The second period was only three minutes old when Cockhill opened the scoring; Gerry Gill swung in a free from the right and Peter Doherty powered a header into the net past Shane Graham in the visitors net.

Cockhill increased the lead on 63 minutes when after a foul on Mark Moran the referee awarded a penalty.

Friel stepped up to shot low to the bottom right hand corner but Graham was smart to his left and saved only for every alert James Bradley to shot high to the net from 6 yards out for a 2-0 lead.

Young Paddy Carr then had a chance for the visitors on 69minutes but his shot in a crowded Cockhill penalty area produced a timely block from Oisin McColgan to keep the score at 2-0.

Cockhill added a third on 83 minutes when, after a Gerry Gill corner, the ball fell to James Bradley on the edge of the area and his first-time shot was deflected past Graham by Garbhan Friel.